Friday, July 18, 2014

Slow and Steady Wins the Race



This is day 5 of 365… I am sore, but I feel great.  I have dropped 3lbs in 5 days- but truth be told, probably slightly more than that because I was too fearful of getting of the scale initially.  So that “before” number is a few days after working out- quite an astronomical number… but still it’s going down.  After my workout this morning, I thought my waist looked smaller- and I measured and inact, it was down 1 inch, and my hips were down .5inch.  Now I should clarify, this past weekend I was in Nashville where the drinks and food flowed quite easily so perhaps I was “bigger than normal” when I began this.  Nevertheless progress is progress, and it is a motivation. 

Last entry, I wrote about the weekends.  As today is Friday, the weekend is upon us and already we are starting to make plans (we love the weekends).  Unfortunately for our bank accounts, but fortunately for my health, we are broke (too much fun in Nashville) and therefore our going out will be heavily limited.  Nevertheless we have plenty of alcohol and mixers to make a great weekend at home… which could prove to be devastating for the scale.  The trick in all of this must be to find a balance.  I refuse to stop acting my age, and I refuse to refuse having fun and living my life because of goals that I have.  That is not real life- because what happens when it’s over??  Do I go back to the way I was eating before?  That is my biggest fear- so what I am doing right now, is trying to create a lifestyle that I live with on the day to day. 

3lbs down, and an 1.5inches down… we are on our way.

Today’s workout consisted of some high intensity work.  This week I have tried to alternate my “heavy” lifting days (with cardio following) with heavy cardio days with more body weight exercises.  Today kind of combined the two (cardio and body weight exercises).  There was LOTS of jump roping, tuck jumps, jump lunges, jump squats- and hang grip.  One of my goals is to be able to do a pull up, I know I need to work on my grip strength so whenever I get a chance down at the gym I try to do three good hangs and hang for as long I can.  I must tell you that my grip strength in nil.  Even in my best shape, my grip strength never even made it onto the charts—I suck at this.  But among my other vows, I vow to get better at this.  Yesterday I hung for 8 seconds; today my longest was 10 seconds.  Again, it’s slow (and sad) but it’s progress. 

This is how my workout started out (thanks Pinterest- and PopSugar)

  • 60 seconds jump rope
  • 50 jumping jacks
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 20 alternating lunges (I did 20 on each leg)
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 15 tuck jumps (this exercise makes my heart go insanely high)
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 20 squats
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 60 seconds high knees run
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 15 jump squat
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 15 burpees(I had to break these up in groups of 5... I was gassed)
  • 30 seconds jump rope
  • 50 jumping jacks

No comments:

Post a Comment