Monday, March 18, 2013

Foreword

Grace Lace and Pearls
 
Grace, lace & pearls a project inspired by my mother who is the epitome of all these things. Grace can take the shape of anything. She taught me that having a lady’s grace meant speaking when an adult speaks to you- a concept lost by many of today’s ‘teenage hipsters’. Grace means knowing how to act properly at the ballet- even though a little girl’s giggles instantly take over when the boys in tights start leaping- legs spread and all. Grace is learning how to set a table, how to carry on a conversation around mixed company- with only your eyes. She taught me that yes- life will give you lemons- the trick is being resourceful and finding the corresponding limes, tequila and triple sec. Grace is what my mother has taught- and continues to teach me. Because of her grace, I know how to fight for what I believe in, how to see ‘defeat’ as a road sign that has simply changed directions, how Jesus has saved us all and how to not only love unconditionally but to be loved- unconditionally.
 
Lace and pearls are angelic symbols of the south. They tell stories of how The Tara rose from the ashes to become great again. They are both strong within their own right. Pearls adorn seaside cottages and illuminate the rough shells in which they belong. Lace is an intricate fabric, made by rough, worn and tired hands- yet adorned in the most delicate of manners.
 
Grace, lace and pearls- filled with Southern paradox, noted for timeless tradition, and loved by all who are luck enough to be in its presence.
 
This is my inspiration, this is for my mother-
Grace, Lace and Pearls

No comments:

Post a Comment